Friday, December 25, 2009

The Greatest Christmas Present for a book lover

This year for Christmas my parents gave my husband and I each a $50 gift certificate to the bookstore. Glee! This afternoon we sat down with the computer and put together a list of all the books we have been wanting that are not easily accessible from the library. We decided to go online rather than in the store because too often we can't find the books we want when we're shopping (I could go on a rant about bookstores becoming gadget, toy, and stuffed animal stores rather than bookstores, but I'll save that for another day).

Aaanyway...

I started by pulling books off my Goodreads to-read list. Those are books that I have added over the past year when friends have recommended them. Here is our list:

  • Winter in June (Rosie Winter #3) by Kathryn Miller Haines - part of a good 1940s mystery series
  • Chrysalids by John Wyndham - classic sci fi recommended by a friend
  • Passage by Connie Willis - sci fi by one of my all-time favorite authors
  • Sleep, Pale Sister by Joanne Harris - fiction by the author of Chocolat; a great author
  • The People of Sparks (Book of Ember #2) by Jeanne DuPrau - second book in kids fantasy series
  • Wolf Who Rules by Wen Spencer - second book in the light, fun fantasy series
  • (a handful of heavy sci fi picked out by hubby that I may read depending on his recommendations)
  • Boneshaker by Cherie Priest - steampunk
  • Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart - mmmm, baguettes...

Woo Hoo!!

Thanks to the friends who have recommended the above books. And keep your eyes posted to this page (because I know you live and die by my blog) for reviews of my Christmas book list.

No comments: