Friday, March 13, 2009

The Detox Diet by Elson M. Haas M.D.

I had seen the book Super Cleanse at Target which got me thinking. I wasn't invested enough to buy it so instead I requested The Detox Diet: The How-To & When-To Guide for Cleansing the Body of:... from the public library. I was looking for a way to jump start eating healthier this summer and I had heard of detoxification diets. Long story short: I don't think this is the plan for me. I respect people who had the dedication and the tenacity to stick with a liquid or completely fruit and vegetable-based diet. But I like my food too much. I think it is possible to eat healthier without going to such an extreme - even if it is for a limited amount of time.

As an M.D. and a homeopath, Haas explains the medical reason for eating healthier in logical terms. He explains the benefits of a diet that is rich in fresh fruits, vegetables, and fiber. Everyone could benefit from eating less refined sugar. I learned a number of things that I will take into consideration when I pick my food.

However, the book does tend to remain heavily detailed. There is a lot of dropping names of different amino acids, proteins, and vitamins as though the reader should recognize those unfamiliar terms without fail.

An informative book but something I'm glad to have gotten from the library and will be returning to the library.

No comments: