Thursday, August 21, 2008

Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle


I think I should take a break from the mindless mystery genre for awhile. I met a character, I knew she was guilty. I guessed at some level why she was guilty. Then I read 230 pages to see if I was write. Yep, I was. I'm not suggesting I have some amazing talent for reading into a book, but there is a pattern that many modern cozy mysteries take - especially ones that are part of a series. There are certain key elements to look for to discover whodunit. At the very least, you can discount the handful of regular characters who spice up the books. Rarely will an author turn a beloved character into a murderer. So, right off the bat you can remove close to half the characters from the suspect list. There was one plot twist that took me by surprise. And I thought it was well done. It played into the capture of the murderer and made the book more interesting than it might have been.

Latte Trouble is the third coffeehouse mystery book by husband and writing team pseudonymed Cleo Coyle. The continued love affair with coffee makes these books a fun read that I will keep reading. Although I would definitely categorize this series as one of the mindless, taking a break from reality series, I do still learn something. I know more about coffee than I ever needed to know. How it is brewed, where it comes from, how it is grown. The authors have done a nice job with their research into the world of coffee. And, in this book, they have added to it by exploring the world of High Fashion in New York City. That aspect of the book reminded me of watching Sex and the City.

There's really not too much else to say. Fun, light, humorous, engaging. A good summer read.

No comments: