Saturday, June 21, 2008

Dakota Home by Debbie Macomber

Lately I feel as though I have been reading a fair amount of relatively heavy literature (not in the classical literature sense, but in the deep and thought-provoking sense.) I needed a break which is exactly what Debbie Macomber is good for. Her books are romances in the traditional sense. Boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, they have a huge fight, for half of the book they continue to misunderstand one another. Eventually everything works out exactly like it should. Neat, simple, easy to read. Considering that it is summer, the boys are home and running crazy, I feel like I deserve to read this kind of thing for a while.
Dakota Home is the second in the Macomber Dakota trilogy. It is interesting to read the author's perception of rural life in the Dakotas. The story revolves around a town that was dying because of the failure of agriculture but has become a spot worth visiting. I like the simplicity and the pleasantness of the story. It does touch on relevant issues but not in a heavy-handed way.
When I'm not reading while sitting on the back porch and being interrupted every thirty seconds to stop a fight, push a swing, or check out a bug I'll pick up something deeper. But for now, Macomber works.

No comments: