Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Finding Time to Read

After reading my blog I have had a number of people comment that they don't have time to read. I have also been asked where I find the time to read with two kids. For me reading isn't something to fit into my busy day; it is a necessary part of my day. Maybe I should focus on exercising or becoming a gourmet chef instead, but that's just not who I am.
I read every night before I go to bed. If I don't read I will spend hours tossing and turning, going over my day in my head again and again. Reading fiction allows me to divorce myself from the issues that surround me during the day.
I read during my commute to work. I love taking public transportation. Twice a week I get on a tram, sit down, and have 35 uninterrupted minutes - twice a day - to become absorbed in another world. Plus, I don't have to fight traffic, fuss when there's an accident, and search for a parking spot.
I read when I am sitting with my boys watching television. I limit their TV intake but there are times of the day when they need a chance to sit quietly - especially considering that at the ages of 2 and 4 they no longer nap. Some would argue that I should be paying close attention to the shows so I know what they are watching. However, the 25th time you put on The Wiggles Sail Around the World there is no need to pay attention. I have actually discovered that I can simultaneously sing the songs and read; the lyrics don't require that much focus.
Finally, when I'm really invested in a book, I will read in the evenings after the boys go to bed. My husband and I chose a few years ago to save money by getting read of cable television. We watch DVDs , but now TV is not something that we automatically turn on and stare at. Instead it has become one option.
Everyone has their different hobbies and different ways they spend their free time. For me, though, reading is not something that comes low on a list of possible ways to spend my free time. It is something I can't imagine not being an integral part of every day.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I totally hear you, my friend! Simply could NOT live without my books!

Unknown said...

I'm still jealous! As a SAHM with a busy 1 yr old who seems to think sleep is optional, I find that it's taking me months to finish a single book right now. Partly because often when I could be reading a book I'm instead reading a blog or chatting on a message board, but it's easier to read a blog or message for a minute and then chase a little one than invest myself in a book only to be pulled away a sentence or 2 later. One day soon I will again be in the position to read with wild abandon, so I'm not going to complain too loudly. In the meantime, I'll read your blog and keep a list of books to read in the future!

Dani said...

Well, there is always pizza for dinner, right? ;) I found audio books are great too, you can wash dishes, fold clothes, rock a baby, etc. with an audio book on your MP3.

I also don't like reading books that are too similar to my own life, it is not "transporting enough." I am not a large fan of Jennifer Weiner for this reason. Too ordinary for me. I need to be in a different place.

Dani said...

Well, there is always pizza for dinner, right? ;) I found audio books are great too, you can wash dishes, fold clothes, rock a baby, etc. with an audio book on your MP3.

I also don't like reading books that are too similar to my own life, it is not "transporting enough." I am not a large fan of Jennifer Weiner for this reason. Too ordinary for me. I need to be in a different place.